- Fizzy Thoughts: file under D, for disappointing

file under D, for disappointing

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I'm just not having good book karma. Tons of books (actually, come to think of it, that's probably a good estimate of the weight I have in books) around, and I go for the stinkers.

Maybe that's not fair. The first book actually has received lots of positive press. I had such (sing it now) high hopes, but C'est la Vie, by Suzy Gershman, just didn't do much for moi. I made it about halfway through, and I think I need to accept the fact that that'll be as far as I get. The book is about starting a new life in Paris. But Suz gets bogged down in descriptions of shopping for household goods and dinner parties. Maybe this is my fault...I didn't realize she is the author of the Born to Shop books. Now I love to shop...but I don't want to read about it. Especially $100 sheets from Lille. Whoop-de-doo. The other thing that bugs me about this book is how she makes such a point about not wanting to get caught up in the ex-pat culture. But then what does she go and do? Make friends with a group of ex-pat women. Nice try on taking the high road there, Suz. I'm not waiting around around for strike three...this book has just gone in the reject pile.

Joining C'est la Vie in that just mentioned pile is Piazzas and Pizzas. I bought this book online (from a reputable bookstore) not realizing it is published by one of those on-line groups. I couldn't get past the first few pages. The spelling errors were too distracting. Dude, next time hire yourself an editor! Also, it was too much like reading my blog, and there is a good reason why I'm not published...bor-ing. However, for the record, I am a much better speller. I'm not making any claims to grammatical superiority, but I could kick his ass in a spelling bee.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top