- Fizzy Thoughts: Eat Pray Love

Eat Pray Love

Saturday, April 07, 2007



I finished this book last night, and I must say, it was wonderful. One of my top books for the year, so far.

After a brutal divorce, Elizabeth Gilbert decides to go on a journey to rejuvenate both mind and body. Her goal is to spend time in three places, Italy, India and Indonesia (Bali, really). In Italy her goal is pleasure. She takes Italian classes and spends her spare time eating. In India, the focus is spiritual, and she spends all of her time at her guru's ashram studying yoga and seeking peace. In Bali, she seeks to find balance, to learn how to live both a pleasure-filled life and a spiritual life.

For me, the draw wasn't so much Gilbert's journey but her writing style. She writes in such a down-to-earth style, yet so desriptivley, I could easily picture her in all three places. And she's funny. And she's not trying to push any message down your throat or convert you to her thinking or way of life. Her goal was to tell of her journey, and she did an excellent job.

2 comment(s):

MackAttack said...

thanks for the review!!

Anonymous said...

I was supposed to read this for my book club and still cannot get through it. No one in the book club liked it. What are we missing?? I find gilbert to be self centered and annoying and the book is so boring that everytime I try to read more I fall asleep. This never happens to me when reading. I just don't get what people like about this book.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top