- Fizzy Thoughts: Yet another book review

Yet another book review

Monday, April 16, 2007

In one day I finished both The Reluctant Fundamentalist (see two posts down for details) and Dork Whore. I don't know what that says about me, but I'm sure it reaffirms my weirdness.



Dork Whore, by Iris Bahr

Where to start...I was at Barnes and Noble, as usual, and I wandered over to the travel writing section. And there it was. I mean really, with a title like that, how could I not pick it up? I sat down to read a few pages and got hooked.

Okay, so there's not much travel writing involved. Sure, you learn she went to Thailand and Vietnam and Nepal and India. But it's more about Iris' quest to umm, get a little action. And her many, many failures. And the scuzzy guys she lusts after.

The thing is, she really is funny. To an extent. Sometimes it's a little much, but she's got a good sense of humor and is anyone and everything is fair game. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if she James Freyed most of the book.

So bottom line...a ridiculous, over-the-top, crude read. One I wouldn't recommend to a whole lot of people, but still entertaining if you are in the right frame of mind.

**Evidently, the author is also an actress, currently seen on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Since I am not a TV whore, I wouldn't know.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top