- Fizzy Thoughts: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I actually read Water for Elephants last month. I raved about it here. After I finished the book, I typed in this passage where the 90+ year narrator is speaking to a nurse in the nursing home:

"I'll have it in here then, Rosemary, " I say, thereby proving that I remembered her name. Keeping up the appearance of having all your marbles is hard work but important. Anyway, I'm not really addled. I just have more facts to keep track of then other people.
"I do declare you're as strong as a horse," she says, writing one last thing down before flipping my chart shut. "If you can keep your weight up, I'll bet you could go on another ten years."
"Swell," I say.


I just love this passage. It totally cracked me up. I can just hear that sarcastic "swell." I was actually reading this book in a hotel room in San Diego and I had to interrupt my mom's reading to read it to her. She cracked up, too. I think the author did a fantastic job of creating a voice for the elderly Jacob, and it added so much more to the story.

I'm excited, because this book is currently off on an adventure in Switzerland. And it may get to have more adventures, but more on that later.

1 comment(s):

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Benvenuta to the "Sisterhood"! What an honor to have you as our first offical member ;-) Happy reading!!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top