- Fizzy Thoughts: Incidents in the Rue Laugier

Incidents in the Rue Laugier

Sunday, June 03, 2007


This morning I read Anita Brookner's Incidents in the Rue Langier. This isn't a book I ever would have chosen on my own, but I swapped a bunch of books with a friend, and this one was in the pile.

After her mother's death, Maffy discovers a mysterious notebook and a silk kimono. Baffled by how these items fit into her very reserved mother's life, she invents a story explaining how her parents met and came to marry.

The small blurb on the cover claims Brookner is "funny, vivid and devastating in her observations." Hmmm. Vivid, yes. But funny? Maybe they read a different book, because I was at no time amused. Depressed is more like it. This was a grim book, focused on the perceived proper behavior of an earlier time, as well as duty and unrequited love. It was a quick read, but I can't say that I enjoyed it.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top