- Fizzy Thoughts: Booking Through Thursday - Indoctrination

Booking Through Thursday - Indoctrination

Thursday, August 23, 2007

When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)

I honestly don't know where I got my love of reading. I don't remember being read to as a child or even learning to read, although obviously it happened, as I do remember being in the advanced reading group in first grade. Growing up I know my dad wasn't a reader and my mom didn't read all that often. And we joked that my brother only read the captions under pictures in magazines. My mom is more of a reader now, but she certainly doesn't share my um, fanaticism. We have been known to browse through B&N together, though. I pass some of my books onto my mom, but she doesn't like a lot of what I read (the travel memoirs, the weirdly-funny stuff (like Christopher Moore) and books that I tend to love (like The Historian or The Time Travelers Wife)).
When I was a kid my love of reading was definitely encouraged. I had shelves of books and my parents thought nothing of me holing up in my room and reading all day...although they weren't too fond of the reading half into the night. I used to claim I fell asleep with the light on.
I also have an aunt and two older cousins who are avid readers, but when I was a kid we lived in different states, so I can't claim them as an influence. One of the few books my cousins and I have shared is The Roaches Have No King, which is one of the weirdest books I have ever read. Truly, it defies description. I'm sure it says something about about our family that we all loved the book.

3 comment(s):

Heather (errantdreams) said...

Hehe, I'm not sure that to this day my mother realizes I tended to stay up half the night reading. There was a streetlight close by my bedroom window, so I just read with the lights off. Probably contributed to my poor vision, but oh well!

bookinhand said...

Staying up half the night reading... I still do that! Happy BTT! Diane

Literary Feline said...

I can relate to parents not being thrilled about us staying up late reading. I used to turn on my little bedside lamp and put a towel at the base of the door to block out any light that might be visible from outside of my room. I didn't realize that the light might be seen around the edges of the door from the sides and top . . . Luckily, my bedside light wasn't that bright.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top