- Fizzy Thoughts: Did someone say books? And travel??

Did someone say books? And travel??

Saturday, August 04, 2007

I've joined a reading challenge:
A Life In Books is hosting the challenge. I ran into her post last weekend when I was following links from other blogs, and it was just too interesting to pass up. Especially since most of the books in my current and to be read piles fit the criteria. What are the criteria, you ask? Direct from the source, they are:

  • The challenge runs from July 1 through December 31 during which time you must read six books that fall under the ‘armchair traveling’ theme.
  • Fiction or non-fiction works are fine, and do not need to be specifically travel related, as long as the location is integral to the book - I’ll leave that to your discretion. Locations must be actual places that you could visit, so no Middle Earths or galaxies far, far away.
  • Books may be cross-posted to other challenges, but you cannot count any books read prior to July 1st.
  • To join, make a post outlining your six choices and link to that post below. Because I like to have a little wiggle room, you can opt to switch out books throughout the challenge.
  • And yes, there will be prizes!

Here are my six choices:

  • A Thousand Splendid Suns (Herat and Kabul, Afghanistan)*
  • When In Rome (Rome, Italy)
  • The Places In Between (Afghanistan)
  • Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight (Africa)
  • A Year in the World (mostly Europe)
  • The Blood of Flowers (Persia)
*Yes, I've read it already, but no, I'm not cheating. I read this last weekend, so I am well within the dates of the challenge. :-D

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top