- Fizzy Thoughts: Booking Through Thursday - Read With Abandon

Booking Through Thursday - Read With Abandon

Thursday, October 25, 2007

I would enjoy reading a meme about people’s abandoned books. The books that you start but don’t finish say as much about you as the ones you actually read, sometimes because of the books themselves or because of the circumstances that prevent you from finishing. So . . . what books have you abandoned and why?

I am always abandoning books, not so much because I don't like them, but because something that looks even better comes along and snags my attention. Usually, I end up returning to the abandoned book. However, here are a few that I've either tried not once, but twice, or loathed so much I couldn't stand it:

  • Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder - a two time loser. Love the premise, but I get bogged down in the philosophy and can't handle it any more. Sorry Sophie.

  • One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I notice this is on a few lists. I've started it twice and never made it past the first chapter.

  • Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - someday, I will finish this book. Oh, who am I kidding. Maybe someday I'll finish this book. But everytime I pick it back up it's easily replaced by something else.

  • Piazzas and Pizzas by Jan Kubik - self-published with so many typos and such bland writing that I almost chucked this one across the room. Quickly sold to Powell's so I didn't have to look at it anymore.

  • Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond - Umm, yeah. Boring.

4 comment(s):

gautami tripathy said...

I did finish Sophie's World and One hundred years of Solitude but Hemingway books, I want to chuck those out of the universe!

Chris said...

Other books are always so tempting!

Julie K. Rose said...

I noticed One Hundred Years of Solitude and Cloud Atlas have shown up on a lot of lists. I've not attempted either of them, though they both sound interesting. I guess we've all learned, though, that the concept/author isn't enough sometimes.

And I'm with you on Guns, Germs and Steel...my husband tried using the DVD to teach his social studies class, and said even that was boring!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I found Sophie's World difficult but the philosophy fascinated me and I persevered and it is well worth it to see Sophie's own conundrum unfold.

I really didn't like One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Cloud Atlas is the book next on my pile but I've read several people say its boring so I'm not sure whether I'll read it next or skip to something else...

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top