- Fizzy Thoughts: A Year in the World

A Year in the World

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Year in the World
Frances Mayes
2006
417 pages

Let me first start with a confession. I never read Under the Tuscan Sun. Or any of Mayes' other books. But the title of this book grabbed me, so I decided to give her a try.

I love her writing style. Beautifully descriptive. But...

  • I don't know how they get away with calling it "A Year in the World." A "year in mostly Europe, with detours to Turkey and Morocco" is more like it. And it's not even a year. It's trips here and there over a few years. Picky, picky. But I like truth in a title.
  • This may be jealousy speaking, but everything is just a bit too lovely. Yes, she has a few things she doesn't like, but overall the book reads like a pleasant dream. Not that I want bad things to happen, but really, stop talking about your house in Cortona, Italy and your house in the Bay Area, California.
  • At the end, I was left with the feeling that this book was written to cash in on her name and fame.
Having said all that, I still liked the writing style and reading about the places Mayes and her husband visited.

This is book #5 in the Armchair Traveler Challenge. Next up is Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top