- Fizzy Thoughts: Booking Through Thursday - Oh, Horror!

Booking Through Thursday - Oh, Horror!

Monday, November 05, 2007

A little late this week...

What with yesterday being Halloween, and all . . . do you read horror? Stories of things that go bump in the night and keep you from sleeping?
I thought about asking you about whether you were participating in NaNoWriMo, but I asked that
last year. Although . . . if you want to answer that one, too, please feel free to go ahead and do both, or either, your choice!

Well, it all depends on what your definition of horror is. Stephen King, no. Never read him, never plan to. Anne Rice, yes. Back in college, I read almost all of her books, although I haven't picked up one of her books since. True horror (whatever that is...I tend to think of it as people jumping out from behind doorways with a chainsaw in hand and killing off entire towns) I won't read. But books about vampires, especially vampires who have personality, I'll read. I loved The Historian, but I don't consider that horror, by any means. I also like Karin Slaughter, who writes some incredibly graphic scenes, but I don't consider her horror, either. More like suspense, with a good story behind it. I don't like to be scared, but I do like to be intrigued.

And no, no NaNoWriMo. But I like saying it.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top