- Fizzy Thoughts: Booking Through Thursday - Preservatives

Booking Through Thursday - Preservatives

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Today’s question comes from Conspiracy-Girl:
I’m still relatively new to this meme so I’m not sure if this has been asked yet, but I’m curious how many of us write notes in our books. Are you a Footprint Leaver or a Preservationist?

Unless it's a school book (I wrote all over my history books), I don't generally write notes in books. Probably because I don't re-read most books. However...that doesn't mean I'm a Preservationist. I'm certainly not opposed to leaving notes, unless you are the one person locally who writes in library books (and used books I've bought) about how much worse her life is than the characters in the books. She needs to stop. Or write her own book. I do occasionally write in books I give or send to people, but usually only in the front of the book.

Along with writing in books, I think there is also the whole dog-ear/well-loved books issue that marks you as a Preservationist or a Footprint Leaver. I own lots of bookmarks, but there are many times when I'm too lazy to go get one and I just turn down the page instead. And I bend the spines, too. Unless it's a book I've borrowed, then no dog-ears or spine-bending. I do have respect for other people's books...just not always for my own.

2 comment(s):

Holly said...

I don't write in my books, but I am a spine bender. I have tons of booksmarks, but I always lose them, so I just turn the page down, too. I don't generally dog ear, though.

It does bother me when I loan a book out and it comes back in worse condition than when I lent it. My future Sister-in-Law just returned one of my books without a cover. Who does that?

Literary Feline said...

Someone actually did that? Wrote in a book how her life was so much worse? That's actually quite amusing, although still not really appropriate.

I tend to be a preservationist myself, I admit. I rarely mark up my books be in by dog earing or writing in them. That's just me though.

I really don't mind what people do with their own books in the end, but when it belongs to someone else or knowingly is going to be traded or sold, I think it is common courtesy to keep the book footprint free.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top