- Fizzy Thoughts: Connecting Words

Connecting Words

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Okay, today’s question is going to be a little different. First, I’m posting it early because Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the U.S. and I’m going to be busy making and eating turkey as I’m sure some of you will also be, so I want to give everyone time to play. And two, because I’m basically going to link you through to somebody else’s blog with a question that I thought was pretty interesting.

Joanna and Brad are asking about “connecting words,” and they don’t mean conjunctions like “and” or “but.” No, what they’re looking for are unique, or treasured words that we’ve found out and about in our daily travels, words that might not be common usage, or often heard, but which struck a chord for some reason.

This is unorthodox, of course, but here’s the thing: if you link back to Joanna’s post (which is where the rules are written), you’re eligible to win a prize. Not to mention joining in some great conversation about interesting words.

I’m not sure if you’re supposed to leave a comment there or not. She only specifies that you should link to it in your post, but . . . I suppose a comment wouldn’t hurt. But, as always, comment here, too, please so that all of us can play along. I’ve already answered this one here.


Like others, I'm finding this week's question difficult. Maybe because it's hard to reflect on how you speak. But I do have a few connecting words (actually, more like phrases) that I can think of...

How's tricks? As in, what's happening? My family says this occasionally. I've used it at times with non-family members only to have them stare at me like I'm from another planet. I remember the time I tried to explain it to someone at the gym (back when I actually went to the gym) and they never quite got it. Maybe that doesn't really qualify as a connection then, huh?

Bob's your uncle. I'm convinced this is more of an English phrase. I've never used it, but I've heard it said a few times. For some reason, it tickles my funny bone. And it's even more amusing to listen to someone try to explain it's meaning. I've heard rumor there's another phrase involving an aunt.

Veritable plethora. Plethora is on many people's lists. I was first introduced to the word by a high school vocabulary list. Veritable was also on the list. When it came time to use the words in a sentence, many of us ended up pairing the words together. To this day I cannot hear the word plethora without muttering veritable plethora under my breath and remembering AP English.

Gosh darned quesadilla. Thanks to Napoleon Dynamite, this is what quesadillas are now called (and how they are intentionally mispronounced) in the Hamburger/Softdrink household. Not really a connecting phrase, but I could make a case for Napoleon Dynamite being one giant connecting phrase...for those of us who appreciate it, that is.

Good stuff, Maynard. The old-fashioned way of saying yummo. This is another one of those phrases that I've tossed out only to have people look at me oddly. However, the phrase comes from Malt-o-Meal commercials, so unlike "how's tricks," I can easily explain this one.

6 comment(s):

gautami tripathy said...

Whenever my dad wanted something spicy like chutney to eat with his plate of plain rice and curry, he used say, bring in the rice pusher!

Brad Shorr said...

Thanks for joining in on our project. Your connecting words are wonderful, "Bob's your uncle" being my favorite. I wonder what it means?

Brad Shorr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
--Deb said...

I love seeing plethora come up so much. It's such a tasty word!

Lesley (El Zed) said...

'Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt' is, I believe, the full expression. It is used to imply a more-or-less satisfactory result, close to 'and there you are!'.

Joanna said...

Hi, thanks for taking part and throwing in some words. I love "Bob's your uncle!" too - though I haven't heard of Fanny's aunt before.

I think I'd normally use it at the end of a set of instructions - maybe like showing someone how to make something, "you do this, then that, then a little bit of this, and Bob's your uncle!" (That's it done)

Maybe I'll resurrect this one at the end of some writing tips :-)

Joanna

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top