- Fizzy Thoughts: She's everywhere I don't want her to be

She's everywhere I don't want her to be

Monday, November 12, 2007

Raise your hand if you've heard of Harriet Klausner. No? Well, she's Amazon's top reviewer. And a pain in the ass, if you ask me. And I'm pleased to discover I'm not the only one who feels this way. A few notes on good ol' Harriet...

  • I don't claim to be a reviewer. In fact, I've never even posted a review on Amazon or B&N. But her reviews, well, they suck. Need an example? Try this review of The Faraday Girls.
  • She reads more than is humanly possible. Like others, I'm convinced she's churning out reviews on books she's never read. There are some really good observations in the comments section of that post...definitely worth reading if you're anti-Harriet.
  • She always gives 4 or 5 stars. And she gets free books from the publishers to review. Yes, I'm jealous, but hello? Too bad there's already a BookSlut site. Not that I'm comparing the two...because they are nothing alike.
  • According to OpinionJournal, she doesn't read non-fiction "unless it's a subject I'm really into. Otherwise it's too time-consuming." Gawd forbid reading should be time-consuming. I understand if non-fiction doesn't float your boat, but the fact that she condemns it as time-consuming says a lot to me about her reasons for reading.

I could go on, but I think I've already devoted enough space to Harriet "It's All About the Numbers, Baby" Klausner.

1 comment(s):

avanta7 said...

Good ol' Harriet "I've never read a book I didn't like" Klausner. She's a piece of work, isn't she? She must be doing something right, however, since she's got all these people who've never met her (including us) talking about her.... ;-)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top