- Fizzy Thoughts: And the nominees are...

And the nominees are...

Thursday, December 20, 2007

1. What fiction book (or books) would you nominate to be the best new book published in 2007?(Older books that you read for the first time in 2007 don’t count.)
2. What non-fiction book (or books) would you nominate to be the best new book published in 2007?(Older books that you read for the first time in 2007 don’t count.)
3. And, do “best of” lists influence your reading?

Of the books I read this year that were published this year, I would nominate The Reluctant Fundamentalist, by Mohsin Hamid. I almost said A Thousand Splendid Suns, but it's on other people's lists, and The Reluctant Fundamentalist isn't. And besides, I love what the author did with the ending. It's a short, quick read...I'd highly recommend it.

My favorite non-fiction reads for the year (eat pray love and The Places In Between) weren't published this year, and I can't think of any other worthy of nomination. Even my current read (North of Ithaka), which coulda been a contender, falls short of the required publication date. So no non-fiction nominations.

And finally, "best of" lists don't really influence my reading. I tend to go for books that catch my eye, either on the tables at Borders and Borders and Noble, or from people's blogs, or from the Powells or B&N websites. Which isn't to say the books aren't on a list...they're just not on a list I'm aware of.

1 comment(s):

Amy said...

I have The Reluctant Fundamentalist on my list to read for 2008.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top