- Fizzy Thoughts: Booking Through Thursday - Catalog

Booking Through Thursday - Catalog

Friday, December 14, 2007

Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))
If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything?Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!
P.S. Incidentally, folks, did you see the
clever post Joanna put together with all our Connecting Words from a couple weeks ago? Not to mention, of course Brad’s winner to the contest.

I have a Library Thing account. Do I keep it up to date? No. I thought I could use it to keep track of the books I read, but this blog works a lot better. For now. I was telling lisamm that I'm on my third bookish blog attempt. The books always end up taking a back seat on the blog. Anyways, back to Library Thing. I always end up giving my books away (I hear those gasps of horror...but trust me, if you moved every couple of years, you'd be giving your books away, too). So it's kind of pointless to catalog books I don't have.
I also like Library Thing's nifty little blog widget thingy that shows what books you've read recently, but I couldn't quite seem to get it to accurately reflect what I'd just read. Okay, and I'm lousy about updating it, too. So, long story short...I love the concept, and I think the site (Library Thing) is awesome, but I don't use it.

3 comment(s):

LisaMM said...

Hi Girly, thanks for the shout-out. Do you use bookcrossing.com? If you give away books, and move a lot, it might just be the perfect thing for you. If you don't already know, bookcrossing is a site that encourages you to release your books "into the wild', leaving them in public places for others to find. You put a bookplate inside telling the finder to go to the website and let you know where they found the book. Anyway, I'm not explaining it well, but it's pretty cool.. check it out!

softdrink said...

Yeppers. I used to be pretty active in bookcrossing. Only thing is, I'm convinced no one around here reads (a total exagerration, but still...), because my books were never found. Or if they were, it was in a used bookstore. Which means someone sold the darn thing. Grrr.
Anyways...I tend to give them to my mom and friends now. I was going to reply to your other comment about Madeline...had I not left the book in Wisconsin, I would have sent it to you. If you ever see me talking about a book and you're interested, just call dibs. I'm more than happy to send it to you. If I still have it. :-D

gautami tripathy said...

I soon have to move house and I have to give up hell lot of books. I am preparing myself for it.

Booking through Cataloguing

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top