- Fizzy Thoughts: Whatcha Reading Meme

Whatcha Reading Meme

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

This meme comes from Lisa...

I’m a reader who is always looking for a good book recommendation from friends, neighbors, people on planes, in waiting rooms, at the library.. wherever I happen to be. I find myself saying, “Whatcha reading?” several times a week!
In this meme, I’d like to know 5 things:


1. Whatcha reading?
2. How much of it have you read so far?
3. What’s it about? (in a nutshell! A sentence or two is enough)
4. What does the title refer to?
5. Would you recommend it?


My answers:

1. I'm currently reading North of Ithaka, by Eleni Gage.

2. I'm on page 207 of 272.

3. Eleni Gage's grandmother was executed during the Greek civil war that followed WWII. She decides to return to her grandmother's village and rebuild the house where her grandmother was held prisoner. The book is both informative and entertaining, as the author describes her experiences of living in an itsy-bitsy village and her family's reactions to the rebuilding of a place that holds bitter memories.

4. Lia (the itsy-bitsy village) is north of the island of Ithaka. Beyond the obvious, I think (but am not sure, since I can't find the spot) that the title refers to the fact that Lia is far, far removed from the typical Greek island view that many tourists have of Greece.

5. Yes, especially if you like travel/moving to another country memoirs. It is also worth noting that the author's father, Nicholas Gage, wrote his mother's story, Eleni. The book was made into a film. I have neither read that book nor seen the movie, and you don't need to in order to appreciate this book. But it might make a nice follow-up if you did read/see Eleni.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top