- Fizzy Thoughts: Huh?

Huh?

Thursday, January 24, 2008

What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”

The Roaches Have No King: Probably the least known book that I’ve liked (not loved, but it’s such a bizarre book I can’t help but like it).
Special Topics In Calamity Physics: It’s not that obscure, but it’s not exactly a household name, either. Another quirky book…I read it a few weeks ago and it’s still my favorite of everything I’ve read this month.
The Shadow of the Wind: I love this book. Some of you have probably read it, but I’m always surprised by how overlooked this book is.
The Caliph’s House: I’ll throw this one in, in case there’s anyone out there interested in what it’s like to live in Casablanca.

6 comment(s):

Tara said...

Hello! I picked up The Shadow of the Wind recently and look forward to it!

lisamm said...

SHadow of the Wind is on my list of books to read this year.

BTW I went by the post office yesterday. Hee hee.

Jaimie said...

No I haven't heard of any of those. Thanks for sharing!

Julia said...

Nope, never read "Shadow of the Wind" but I have heard about it. Might need to add it to my TBR piles :)

Happy BTTs! I hope you have a good Thursday and weekend ahead

Julia - Yen

J.C. Montgomery said...

Shadow of the Wind is one of my most absolute favorite books!! I reviewed it here: http://thebibliobrat.blogspot.com/2008/01/review-shadow-of-wind.html

I love the titles, The Roaches Have No King and Special Topics in Calamity Physics. For that reason alone, I am on my way over to Amazon to look them up - those and the other you mentioned. I wonder what the size limit is on their wish list? I seem to be testing it constantly.

Thanks for the info!

AnnieNC said...

I love your blog and I love reading about books!

Here's my obscure classics:
I love both Dalva and The Road Home by Jim Harrison, and I seldom talk to anyone who has read them. He wrote Dalva first and then The Road Home is both a prequel and a sequel to it. They are the kind of novels that just blow your heart open.

Thanks again for the Venice books you sent to me! This blogging challenge is going to be fun, I hope.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top