- Fizzy Thoughts: It was a dark and stormy night

It was a dark and stormy night

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Last night, shortly after Hovde, our local weather dude, reported 75 mile per hour winds in Morro Bay, our power went out. And it did not come back on until 2am. So we lit the candles and played a game of Scrabble. Then we lit more candles and I read by candlelight. This is what I read...

Kaori Ekuni
2003
170 pages


I'll just say it straight up. I didn't like this book. And the reading by candlelight had nothing to do with it. It's only redeeming quality is its shortness. Oh, and the cover. Underneath the jacket is a very cool cover. I'd take a picture of it, but I'm too lazy to go find the camera.

The story is about Shoko and Mutsuki. Shoko is a depressed alcoholic and Mutsuki is gay. They get married in order to present a normal front. Shoko appears to be manic depressive, yet her doctors tell her she's relatively normal and that her drinking is okay. And everyone seems to encourage the drinking. Mutsuki is a nice guy, although he's a bit OCD, especially when it comes to keeping the apartment clean. As the story progresses, Shoko befriends Mutsuki's lover, Kon, and becomes even more depressed. I won't divulge the ending, because I'm sending the book to Adrienne. However, I was as impressed with the ending as I was with the book, which is to say not at all. The characters did not engage me, and the writing style left me bored. This is the second Japanese author I've read. I've read two of Banana Yoshimoto's books, Kitchen and Asleep. Although neither one knocked my socks off, they were infinitely better than Twinkle, Twinkle. I'm sure there are Japanese authors out there that I might enjoy, but I won't be hunting them down.

This book is my first read for the Expanding Horizons Challenge. Let's hope it gets better from here.

6 comment(s):

Melissa said...

Too bad. Hope the next one's better. Oh, and we're having Mr. Linky trouble at the review site... I did away with the Mr. Linkys because they were acting up (naughty Mr. Linky); could you go back and put a link in the comments? Thanks much.

MackAttack said...

Did you stay up til 2am reading, until the power came back on?

No wind here, but some drizzly rain. :)

softdrink said...

Mack, I didn't have enough candles to read until 2am. I went to bed at 9, ridiculously early for a weekend.

Becky said...

I appreciate your honesty :) Sometimes the most redeeming quality of a bad book is its length.

iggystar said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book, but at least I liked your review. :)

Adrienne said...

I agree very much about your review. And I made sure that I did swing by to read it before reading the book so that I would not be swayed. I just couldn't relate to any of the characters, but that could be a cultural thing. I mean beyond the drinking problem and the homosexuality.

Thank you for sending me this one. I'm glad it was a short read as well since I am behind on my reading. Eeek!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top