- Fizzy Thoughts: This is what I should have read by candlelight

This is what I should have read by candlelight

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Yesterday I started a second book for the Expanding Horizons Challenge, Sky Dancer, by Witi Ihimaera. It's shaping up to be a good story, but I was getting lost in the endless lists of New Zealand birds. So I switched gears, and spent the evening (and part of today) with vampires.

Twilight
Stephenie Meyer
2005
498 pages

I've lost track of how many blogs I've seen this book reviewed on. All good reviews, too. So despite the fact that this is really a YA book, I decided to give it a shot. And I was glad I did. Except now I have to go get the other two books that follow. And then wait impatiently for the next one to be published. Sometimes I hate the fact that I like series.

Basic story...17 year old Bella Swan relocates from sunny Phoenix to the dreary, rainy Olympic Peninsula to live with her dad. Despite the fact that he looks like he loathes her at first sight, Bella becomes captivated by a mysterious young man, Edward Cullen. Edward runs hot and cold. He is charming one minute and curt the next, and Bella doesn't know what to think...until she figures out he's a vampire. And so is the rest of the Cullen family... "parents" Carlisle and Esme, and adoptive siblings, the charming Alice, bitchy Rosalie, hulking Emmett and the empathetic Jasper. With the exception of Rosalie, Bella gets to know the family as she is tossed into danger. The danger is resolved at the end of the book, and although Bella and Edward are in love, their relationship still has quite a few kinks to work out (human v. vampire, mortal v. immortal, 90 years old but forever 17 v. 17 and only getting older...), leaving this series wide open for many more books.

Normally, I am not a fan of first person point of view. But this is the third book in the last week that I've read that was told in first person and that I actually enjoyed (Persian Girls and Special Topics in Calamity Physics being the other two). Mainly because none of the narrator's voices were distracting and I still got a good sense of the other characters.

And now I'll return to my regularly scheduled reading. At least until I buy those sequels.

2 comment(s):

doddtina said...

Hi Jill,
I'm a secret lurker! It's been too long! Anyhoo, I just wanted to share with you how much I am into these books too right now. I just stumbled on Twilight a few weeks ago and have been impatiently waiting for the library to get me their copies of New Moon and Eclipse. I am now finally reading Eclipse. So much fun. I can't wait the the last in the series. I really enjoy these books. It's amazing that you are still a marathon reader after all these years! I was recently remembering going to the local bookstore with you when we were either in elementary or junior high. Anyhoo, I hope all is well with you.
Love, Tina Dodd-Wilson

softdrink said...

Hi Tina! Have you read her adult novel, The Host? I'm afraid to, for fear I won't like it as much as her others, but I've heard good things about it. Thanks for de-lurking. ;-D

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top