- Fizzy Thoughts: Travel Reading Meme

Travel Reading Meme

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lisa tagged me for this meme, since she's trying to figure out what books to take on vacation. It's providing me with a nice distraction from the incredibly mind-boggling yet mind-numbing work I'm doing to put together a data presentation. And since the boss is away...

1. What book are you reading right now? Do you like it?
I am currently reading Ines of My Soul, but I'm not really enjoying it. It needs more dialogue. The story sounds interesting, but without the dialogue it's dragging. I'd give up, but it's on my list for the Expanding Horizons Challenge and I'm bound and determined to read an Isabel Allende book in my lifetime, although I'm not really sure why.

2. What was the last book you read on a plane?
I started A Year in the World, by Frances Mayes, on the plane coming back from Italy. Whoops...I forgot about Green Bay. I read The Center of Everything on the various planes to Green Bay. (I did sudoku puzzles on the way home, which was a waste of valuable reading time.)

3. What was the last book you read on a roadtrip?
Roadtrip? I don't remember. The last time I was on a road trip was 2 years ago, when we went to a family reunion in Oregon. I can't remember what I read, though. Oh wait, maybe that's because I drove. I've been down to Orange County a few times this year...not really road trips, but it does involve lots of time in the car. But, my mom would rather I talk to her than read, so even though I hopefully take a book with me, it never gets read. I read The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi, by Jacqueline Park, during the Italy trip, which is kinda sorta not really a road trip. It was a good book for the trip, since it's set in Italy during the 1500s. And it's thick.

4. What is the most unusual place you found yourself reading?
I can't think of any truly unusual places. I've read on the beach at Nice while sunbathing. Topless. But everyone else was topless, too...so that's not unusual in Nice. But I'm pretty sure it's not something I'll ever be doing again.

5. What books would you take to keep you occupied on a 2 week vacation to the beach?
Two weeks at the beach?!? I'd need a separate suitcase for all the books, because I'd need options. Some of the books in my TBR pile that I'd take would be:
The Palace of the Snow Queen - because it's hot at the beach (well, unless you live in Morro Bay) and I'd need some cool thoughts.
You Suck - because Christopher Moore is just so cool. And funny. And vacations at the beach just scream out for something funny.
Smile When You're Lying: Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer - because it's about travel, and I like to read about travel when I'm traveling.
New Moon and Eclipse - because they're sequels to Twilight
The Complete Stories - because I'm going to Savannah in April, and I want to read this before I go.
Between, Georgia - because I just bought it and it looks like it isn't that serious or heavy of a book. And it has nothing to do with the trip to Savannah, despite the Georgia in the title...that's just a coincidence.
That's my list for today. Since I'm not at home staring at my bookshelves, I'm sure I'd add a few more to the pile. Yup, I'd definitely add a few more...after looking over the list, I've decided I need a few more fiction titles. And then I'd make a few changes before I left on the trip, because I always do.

3 comment(s):

bkclubcare said...

Great answers! And I loved your answer to #4. I WANT TO GO TO NICE! and not just because you got to read topless. Though, I have to admit, that is a cool think to admit...

bkclubcare said...

a cool THING to admit. can you edit that?!

softdrink said...

Blogger doesn't allow edits on comments...just deletes. How lame is that?
But I knew what you meant!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top