- Fizzy Thoughts: Between, Georgia (and a few other things)

Between, Georgia (and a few other things)

Monday, February 04, 2008

I'm on hiatus from Ines of My Soul. I will finish it, but for now I've moved on to other books...

Between, Georgia
Joshilyn Jackson
2007
294 pages

I really enjoyed this book. It has quirky characters. I bought it because I enjoyed the author's previous book, gods in Alabama, which I could've sworn I read last year, even though I can't find any mention of it in my list of books read in 2007. This is why I'm trying so much harder to post about this year's reads...I'm trying to compensate for my crappy memory.

Between, Georgia is a tiny Southern town dominated by the Fretts and the Crabtrees, two very opposite families who share a child. Nonny was born to a Crabtree, but adopted and raised by Fretts. The Crabtrees are a stereotypical poor white trash clan. The Fretts present themselves as upstanding, Baptist citizens. Actually, it's Nonny's Aunt Bernese who does all the presenting for the Fretts. On the Crabtree side, Nonny is faced with her confrontational grandmother, Ona. When war breaks out between the two families, Nonny is called home to make peace. In order to do this, she is going to have to make sense of both sides of her heritage.

This makes the book sound so serious, but it isn't. Jackson has an engaging style, and draws clear pictures of all her characters. And there's lots more going on with Nonny and the other characters that I didn't mention. But that would ruin the book. And require me to think a bit more while I type this up, which I'm really not into at the moment (both the ruining and the thinking). So basically, good book. If you want to give a bit of thought to the whole nature/nurture debate, and get a few laughs thrown in at the same time, then this is your book.

In other news...

My Blogger spell check has stopped working. I don't know why it won't respond, but I'm a little perturbed. I really depend on it to help me fix definitely, which I always want to spell definately, and separately, because I have agonized over that word since I spelled it wrong in an essay title in high school and the teacher made some comment on my paper...and to this day I don't know if it is separate or seperate. I'm pretty sure it's the first, but without the spell check button I have to live in an agony of doubt. Damn Blogger.

I know I said I was going to post about Slow Bowl. I had a fantabulous time, but I forgot the camera. Basically, I got together with a bunch of fellow travellers. We ate, went wine tasting, and ate some more. It's known as Slow Bowl because it's a get together of Slow Travelers, and it happens during Super Bowl weekend. The food was incredible...there are some very talented cooks in this bunch! Others are posting wonderful things about the weekend, including pictures, so I'm going to let them do all the hard work and then I might just point you their way. Actually, I already have pointed you their way. Just go back to this post and click on some of the blogs (Kim and Jerry and Krista and Deborah and Palma were there, although not all of them have posted about it yet). Palma has, though. And Wendy took oodles and oodles of pictures, which she is posting here. And if you're wondering what Slow Travel is all about, go check out the website! There are lots of wonderful people there.

And a final woo-hoo goes out to Eli Manning and the NY Giants. I am so, so happy that they beat the no longer perfect Patriots.

2 comment(s):

Anne said...

I'll have to read this - I love a book with quirky characters! I love your blog (books and travel...it doesn't get much better than that!)

softdrink said...

Thanks Anne! I agree...give me a book and send me on vacation and I'm a happy camper.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top