- Fizzy Thoughts: Earthly Pleasures

Earthly Pleasures

Monday, February 25, 2008

Earthly Pleasures
Karen Neches
2008
311 pages

Skye Sebring is a greeter in Heaven. She's a new soul, meaning she's only been around for about a year. So she's surprised when she finds out she's been selected to go to Earth. Meanwhile, back on Earth, Ryan Blaine is missing his wife. Oh, she's there in person. But she doesn't seem like the same Susan she was before a car accident resulted in a head injury. And finally, there's Emily. Emily has been in a coma for the last year, but her roommate at the care center suspects she's starting to come around. There are a few other supporting characters, but those are the main three.

The first couple of chapters entertained me. However, the Heaven scenes are funny, but they soon wear thin. When the book moves to Earth, you can easily see how the story is going to play out. I found the characters to be shallow (shallow as in not well-developed), and by the end, it all felt a bit preachy. And I'm not in to preach.

In short, this was a quick read with a few laughs, but overall, a book I could have skipped.

2 comment(s):

Julie P. said...

I just started this last night. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but I'm a little worried after reading your review!

Julie P. said...

I think I enjoyed this book a little more than you did! :) I posted my review on my blog this morning.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top