- Fizzy Thoughts: Heroine

Heroine

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who is your favorite female lead character? And why? (And yes, of course, you can name more than one . . . I always have trouble narrowing down these things to one name, why should I force you to?)

First, I'll go with (almost) everyone's favorite PEI gal, Anne of Green Gables. Because she's spunky and smart and I loved all the books. And she's a redhead and I always wanted red hair.
After that, it gets a little harder. No one is jumping into my head, screaming pick me, pick me. They must all still be asleep, like I wish I was. So I'm going to cheat a little and pick Frances Mayes and Elizabeth Gilbert. Yes, they are authors. But they both have written about their travels and gotten paid for it. And they can be considered the lead characters in their own books (A Year in the World and eat pray love). So, yeah, I'll go with those two. It's not so much that they are favorites, it's more like I want to be them. Either get paid to travel and write a wildly successful book (Gilbert), or write wildly successful books that let you travel more and then write a book about that, too (Mayes). Yup, I could live like that. Well, I could if I had any writing talent.

8 comment(s):

Trisha said...

I haven't read any of your picks but Anne is one of my reading challenge books for this year so I'll be getting to know her soon.

trish said...

Anne is a brilliant pick. That was one series that each book was excellent. KWIM?

Annie said...

Three great choices. You know, I loved the first Anne of Green Gables when I was a kid but I never got around to reading any of the sequels - maybe it's time to do that.

Funny that you wanted to be a red head and ended up with a red headed IB!

And I think you've got tons of writing talent!

Idaho Gal said...

Yes, Anne is definitely spunky! I found an Anne hat while in Epcot. Its great! Its a straw hat with red braids attached. I can wear it around and have my own Anne moments.

anne said...

My older daughter used to get called Anne ALL the time when we were in PEI visiting my in-laws...and oh didn't she just hate it! She'd stomp her feet and forcefully tell people "that is NOT my name".

oh and I agree with annie, your writing is very engaging!

Lisamm said...

I love Anne of Green Gables. Great choice! I'll be reading eat, pray, love in a week or 2 for my book club. Looking forward to it.

You have TONS of writing talent, btw!!

softdrink said...

Trisha - I have fond memories of Anne. I should read the series again. So many books...*sigh*

Trish - I had do google KWIM...now I can say I learned something new today! And yes, I do KWIM.

Annie and Anne - Thank you. And what's with everyone with similar names posting today??

Idaho gal - You need to post pictures of the hat!

Hey twinny - Good to see you back! Can't wait to see your thoughts on eat, pray, love.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I dunno... plenty of writers have no talent and yet are raking in the bucks. Why NOT go for it?

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top