- Fizzy Thoughts: I give up

I give up

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I tried. Really, I gave it a valiant effort. But I just can't finish.

Sorry Ines, you're outta here. I made it to page 106. But there are 313 pages in this book, and the thought of having to read those remaining pages just makes me cringe.

Ines of My Soul, by Isabel Allende, is based on Ines Suarez, a real-life female conquistador, who took part in the conquering of Chile. It's told in the first person, and it is almost entirely pure narrative of Ines' memories. There is very little dialogue, which is what makes this book so difficult for me to read. You know that feeling when you're reading a text book, and you really, really hope the next page will have a very large picture or chart on it, so there are less words to read, only to be faced with all text when you turn the page? That's how I was beginning to feel while reading this book. And since I'm not in school anymore, I don't have to put myself through that torture.

Adios Ines.

5 comment(s):

lisamm said...

Hi J, one of my book club buddies is Hispanic. She just finished this book in English (thinking she might recommend it for the book club) but she said it did not translate well from the Spanish version. Some of the imagery, etc. comes across better in Spanish, apparently. Which of course doesn't help us English speakers much!

marta said...

I can't remember, did you read any of her other books? I read Daughter of Fortune which was very good. I think I finished this one but it wasn't great. For me it was up and down. If you haven't read Daughter of Fortune, I'd recommend it.

Melissa said...

I can totally sympathize with not getting a book... :) I read Zorro by her, which I liked. Maybe what we're all saying is that she's not a bad author, you just picked the wrong book?

softdrink said...

This was my first try at Allende's books. I actually have Daughter of Fortune on the shelf...I'll have to give it a try. Especially since I need something to replace it for the Expanding Horizons challenge!

anne said...

That does sound a tad tedious. I enjoyed reading her Stories of Eva Luna and Portrait in Sepia,though, and have Zorro on my bookshelf.

I too have a pretend library, although my bookcase is currently overflowing. I suffer from impulse book buying too so have a mix of both hardcover and paperback. I like the trade paperback format because it is easier to hold in bed and in the tub than the heavier hardcovers, but still has a nicer feel than the mass market paperbacks.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top