- Fizzy Thoughts: Where I divulge all my cooking secrets

Where I divulge all my cooking secrets

Friday, February 15, 2008

I don't like to cook. There, I said it. Unfortunately, I do like to eat homemade food, and I'm actually a decent cook. Not a great cook, and definitely not a fancy cook, but stuff usually turns out (except when I start reading and forget about something and it burns). HB has pretty basic tastes, too, which mean meals around here are fairly boring. However, a few years ago I found a recipe (I think it was in Real Simple) that he really likes, and it's different enough that I feel like I'm eating a good meal. Since I didn't have to work today, and I went to the grocery store, and I took a nap (that's really not related, but it felt good), I decided to make a real dinner. I have no idea what the name of this is, but it only has three major ingredients, so Chicken stuffed with Olive Tapenade and Feta Cheese is a good name. Totally easy, except for the time it takes to bake. Not that baking is hard, it just takes time we don't have during the week.

Chicken stuffed with Olive Tapenade and Feta Cheese

Olive tapenade (I use Trader Joes)
Feta cheese (2 of those little plastic containers of the crumbled stuff)
4 chicken breasts
oil
salt and pepper

Mix the olive tapenade together with the feta cheese. Slice the chicken breasts so they look like a piece of pita bread (you know, so there's a pocket). Stuff them full of the olive/feta mixture. You'll probably have extra olive/feta mixture. Cook (sear? I don't know, I don't do technical terms) the chicken breasts in a pan with some oil (oh yeah, and salt and pepper 'em) for a few minutes on each side, then transfer to a baking dish (also with some oil in the bottom). If you have extra olive/feta mixture, feel free to put it on top of the chicken breasts before you stick 'em in the oven, because really, that's the good stuff. Bake at 350 until done. It's pretty tasty served with couscous.

This recipe is a good example to my approach to cooking. Lazy measuring, few ingredients, fairly easy prep, and I don't have to drag out a cookbook or recipe file.

I also made cookies. I know, I can't believe it either. But my mom made these a few months ago and gave me the recipe. Once again, super easy, and bonus...it doesn't make tons of cookies, so you won't be forced to eat 10 dozen.

Flourless Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 C. Super Chunky peanut butter
1 C. (packed) brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 C. miniature chocolate chips (although trust me, regular size chips taste just as good)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl. Mix in chocolate chips. Using moist hands form a generous 1 Tbsp. dough for each cookie into a ball & arrange 2" apart on ungreased sheet (my mom and I are lazy bakers and after extensive testing we can both say the scoop and drop method works just fine). Bake until puffed & golden on bottom & still soft to touch in center, about 12 min. Cool on sheet about 5 minutes before placing on rack to completely cool.

Consumer alert: These cookies are really good, but they are also very crumbly.

Sorry, no pictures of either recipe. I'm done in the kitchen for the day, and I'm not going back in, not even for the sake of the blog.

3 comment(s):

girasoli said...

I know just what you mean. My limit is usually 5 ingredients.

I have read the tilapia recipe twice now (on Jerry & Kim's blogs) and both times I have thought about trying to make it. But then when I look at the actual recipe with all those ingredients, I say "forget it, it looks much too complicated" and instead pop a frozen dinner in the microwave!

Chiocciola said...

Great recipe! I sort of like to cook, but when I see some of the ST blogs I feel rather inadequate!

softdrink said...

I should confess...my favorite all time dinner is Trader Joes frozen macaroni and cheese. Gotta love TJs and the microwave.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top