- Fizzy Thoughts: The End

The End

Thursday, March 20, 2008

You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?
(Obviously, there can be more than one answer, here–a book with a cliff-hanger is going to engender different reactions than a serene, stand-alone, but you get the idea!)

I'm a diver. Well, I try to dive (I'm a little afraid of heights). It usually goes something like this:

Self, I say, that book was a downer. Why don't you pick something a little more upbeat next time? Hmmm, what do I have sitting over here that's upbeat and different...nah, none of those books interest me right now...maybe I'll check my email...hmmm, I wonder what Trish, or Care, or Lisa's been reading...hey, I should blog about that last book...eh, maybe later...maybe I'll go stare at the bookshelf...maybe I'll stare at the other bookshelf...geez, I need to stop buying books...I should read one of the books Judith lent me...ack, April's coming up, I should read one of the books for the Expanding Horizons Challenge. Yeah, that's what I'll do. And then, 20 pages later...this book's boring. Hey, I'm going to Savannah in two weeks, I should read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Yeah, that's it. That's what I'll read.

And I did. I read Chapter One last night.

However, there's a really good chance I'll go to the bookstore in a few days, and I'll get distracted by some book with a pretty cover...really, it's surprising I ever finish anything.

7 comment(s):

Lezlie said...

Ah, yes! The Crow Syndrome: Distracted by shiny things. I have the same one. . . :-)

Lezlie

Stephanie said...

Yep, that all sounds familiar! Are you sure you aren't reading my mind?

Aria said...

That sounds a bit like my own fuzzy thoughts sometimes. Only I don't have a couple shelves to look at so I usually go to the library, see that they have nothing good, and then off to B&N to find something that suits my tastes for the moment.

trish said...

Neither of us won the quilt. :-(

But I cracked up over your rambling thoughts! We'd totally get along in real life. :-)

lisamm said...

I have Book ADD too.. thanks for letting me step into your head for a minute.. that was fun!

I tagged you for a meme.. go see.

chartroose said...

I get that way every once in awhile, but I'm kind of OCD so I often have my reading order planned out weeks in advance. Choosing the next book can be quite a complex ordeal!

softdrink said...

Crow Syndrome...I love it! And I'm so glad I'm not alone.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top