- Fizzy Thoughts: In Bruges

In Bruges

Sunday, March 30, 2008

In Bruges is one of those films where you're not really sure if you want to recommend it to someone. My mom, her friend and I (and most of the theater) really enjoyed it. But we were at the Palm, and in San Luis Obispo, when you say it's a Palm movie, people instantly know what you're talking about. Not necessarily mainstream, a little off, and sometimes weird.

In short, In Bruges is about two hit men holed up in Bruges, Belgium, after a job went bad. Ken is excited at the chance to play tourist...he thinks Bruges, in all it's medieval glory, is wonderful. Ray isn't so happy. Early in the movie he tells Ken, "If I'd grown up on a farm and was retarded, Bruges might impress me, but I didn't, so it doesn't." When their boss, Harry, calls Ken and gives him an order things begin to get complicated. And the language gets even worse.

Colin Farrell is great as Ray, especially when he acts like a petulant little kid. In one scene Ken is playing tourist and trying to explain the significance of a church. Ray pouts on a pew, and makes noise by rattling chairs around. When Ken glares at him and tells him to stop, he slinks up to Ken, dragging his feet just like a little kid would.

Here's another quote from Ray: "Because at least in prison and at least in death, you know, I wouldn't be in fuckin' Bruges. But then, like a flash, it came to me. And I realized, fuck man, maybe that's what hell is: the entire rest of eternity spent in fuckin' Bruges. And I really, really hoped I wouldn't die. I really, really hoped I wouldn't die." Ray's hatred of Bruges is a recurring theme in the movie, and it's actually funny how much he loathes the town. Especially because they do a great job of showing Bruges' beauty. If you're a traveler, it'll make you want to plan to visit one day.

The movie has lots of blood, and lots of creative (and not so creative) swearing and politically incorrect language. Which probably says something about my maturity level. But in my defense, my mom liked it, too! So while I really enjoyed the movie, I have some reservations in telling anyone to go see it. But let me know if you do, and what you thought.

1 comment(s):

Messy Karen said...

wasn't reading your blog when you posted this. but honestly. no comments on the movie. i loved it. so funny. i'm a fan of movies that take me to places i might never go. that's what this movie does.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top