- Fizzy Thoughts: Sam I Am

Sam I Am

Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone! Today, I'm wearing green in memory of my dad.


Here he is, doing a few of the things he did best...talking, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. Hi Dad!

Today would've been his 66th birthday. Yup, an Irish guy born on St Patrick's Day. Granted, the Irishness was pretty distant, but my dad still loved his St Patrick's Day birthday. He always wore green on St Patrick's Day. My grandfather, on the other hand, refused to wear green. We may be Irish, but we're not Catholic, and my grandfather was contrary. However, my dad didn't care... in fact, he was agnostic. He just liked to celebrate his birthday by wearing green and eating corned beef. And drinking a few beers and smoking more than a few cigarettes. And, since my dad's nickname was Sam, one year my mom even made green eggs and ham (and green grits, 'cause my dad was also from Mississippi) for his birthday breakfast.


So I've got my green on. And if I'm really lucky, my mom might cook some corned beef and leave some in our fridge. The beer and cigs, though? Gross!

Finally, in honor of my dad (and Amy, who came up with the idea) here are Three Things I Learned from My Dad:

  • Just say no. This was an indirect lesson, as he had a hard time saying no. My dad died at the age of 53 from esophageal and brain cancer, a result of a few too many beers and cigarettes.
  • It's okay to not believe in god.
  • A sense of humor is important. Especially if you grew up with my dad.

7 comment(s):

lisamm said...

Hi J, Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm so sorry you lost your dad at such a young age, but I hope your day is filled with good memories of him.

lisamm said...

Hi again.. I wanted to let you know I started Garden Spells this afternoon and really like it! I have no idea why I waited so long:-)

Adrienne said...

Happy St. Patty's and Happy b-day to your dad. It is and will always be just that! Beautiful post and thanks for sharing your three lessons learned from Sam.

girasoli said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day! What a wonderful post in memory of your dad.

Anne said...

What a wonderful post about your dad. And how cool that his birthday was St. Paddy's Day!

I found it so interesting that you had to learn it's ok NOT to believe in God. My experience has been the exact opposite. God was entirely absent in my upbringing, so I had a period of great self consciousness while learning that it is ok TO believe in God. (Although my hubby and friends still consider me an oddball and a church geek!)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I am touched.
Sam I am loved green eggs and ham- and green grits. And you got the best of him.

softdrink said...

Thanks everyone!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top