- Fizzy Thoughts: Welcome, March

Welcome, March

Saturday, March 01, 2008

I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a door mat or a prostitute. ~Rebecca West, "Mr Chesterton in Hysterics: A Study in Prejudice," The Clarion, 14 Nov 1913, reprinted in The Young Rebecca, 1982

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people. ~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler

Well-behaved women rarely make history. ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

March is Women's History Month. Since written history tends to be dominated by dead white men, and because I taught high school history (briefly, but long enough to know that history departments are also dominated by practically dead white men), I love that we have a month to promote women's history. I wish that we didn't have to have the month, but let's face it, traditionally, history is most people's least favorite subject. It needs all the help it can get. So in honor of women's history, here are five pretty cool women you may not know much about...
Also, I feel compelled to add that I have never liked the term herstory. Bleck. I wish someone would flush it down the toilet.

1 comment(s):

anne said...

Thanks, it's always good to learn about strong, independent women! (I dislike herstory too...)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top