- Fizzy Thoughts: Boom!

Boom!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Who can resist a sign like this?

My last day in Savannah I visited Fort Pulaski, an old brick fortress style bunker thing that saw some action during the Civil War. Despite the fact that I was a history major, and briefly a history teacher, I'm not feeling up to a full history lesson. Let's just say that there was a battle, and there were lots of cannons involved. Cannons like this:
However, the Union had better guns and the Fort suffered some damage, and the boys in grey surrendered. I was never really into the Civil War, obviously. That reminds me, I took a military history class (it was the only history class I could get one quarter) that bored me to tears. The ROTC guys were waaaay too into, though. Okay, that really has nothing to do with Fort Pulaski, but now that I think about it, I'm surprised I even visited.

Anyways...I found it weirdly uncomfortable to walking around in the Fort's gift shops and seeing Confederate pins and patches and toy soldiers for sale. Not to mention seeing the Confederate Stars and Bars flag flying.
And guys in grey uniforms.

But, I did get to see a cannon fire.

And an alligator in the moat. That alone was worth the 3 bucks it cost to get in.

3 comment(s):

girasoli said...

Hey, you could go to Kim's parents to see an alligator for free!

MackAttack said...

I love that alligator!! :)

bkclubcare said...

I imagine you walking around and then stopping, "What am I doing here again?" and then the cannon goes boom and you think, "AlRIGHT!" fun post!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top