- Fizzy Thoughts: Delta don't impress me much

Delta don't impress me much

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I can't say that I'm that impressed with Delta. On the way to Savannah, my flight from LA to Atlanta was delayed. Luckily, my Savannah flight was also delayed, so I didn't miss my last flight. And while the flight attendants weren't bad, they weren't exactly making the skies friendly, either. Not that I expect perky flight attendants, but a slight upturn of the lips would be nice. Oh, and don't make me ask for the snack, either. If you say we get cookies, you damn well better give me the cookies.

Then there was the journey home. It all started in Atlanta, when they announced that there was a mechanical problem with the plane. Okay, that's fine. But then they felt the need to explain that the mechanics were on board. And the mechanics had their books open. Then they updated us with the news there was a problem with some oil thingie (my word, not theirs, although at the rate they were going, had they tossed out thingie, it wouldn't have surprised me) and they were going to start by replacing the indicator, because that was quicker. If that didn't work, then they would replace some other thingamajig.

Now, I don't know about you, but I prefer to live in airplane ignorance. All they needed to throw out as an explanation for the delay was the word maintenance. I'm not really comforted by the fact that the mechanics were trying to find the problem in their books.

And then, in the midst of this waiting, the airport emergency lights flashed, a warning siren went off, and they announced there was an emergency. That was it, though. Nothing happened, and there were no further announcements. I got more info than I ever wanted about my plane, but no clue what was going on in the airport.

Our flight left shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, it arrived in LA just as my flight to San Luis Obispo was leaving. I didn't even get a seat on a later flight...but I did get a hotel voucher and a ticket for a 6:30 am flight the next morning. Right at the time that Hamburger called to say he was home from Indonesia. Waaahhhh!!!! At that point, I really, really, really wanted to just go home. Instead, I went to go wait (and wait, and wait) for my luggage, that they said I could pick up, only to discover that no, it was sent somewhere else to wait for tomorrow's flight. So I headed to the Marriott with my little complimentary case with a toothbrush and a t-shirt. Only to get back up at an ungodly hour to go back to the airport to get in line for my real ticket and then in line to go back through security and then get singled out for the special security pat down and then eat breakfast at McDonald's (which I never do, but hello, I was starving, and it's the only thing open in the airport at 5 frickin' am...and by the way, their coffee sucks). And I had finished my book and magazine the day before, so I had nothing to read. Which is the real horror of this entire saga.

So, long story short, I'm home. Although my luggage isn't. Gee, what a surprise. And I have a vicious case of jet lag/travel hangover/Delta pissed-offedness.

Back to the regularly scheduled cheerfulness in a few days. Because I've got more Savannah stories and pictures to share. And books to review. Although if my suitcase doesn't show up soon, there might be stories and pictures of rolling heads.

7 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Jill-

WOW, what a pain, it sounds almost identical to our US Airways flight home from SAV....hope your luggage shows soon-

mojen

girasoli said...

Don't you wish just once everything would go smoothly when flying? I agree regarding much too much info when there is a plane problem. Just let me know when it is fixed and safe. Glad you are home safe.

Eden said...

Hi Jill,

Glad to hear that you got to the central coast safe and with great Savannah memories.

We all probably have our shares of airplane horror stories. I so agree with you, I'd rather be in airplane denial regarding what mechanical things that need to be done because I always have this nagging thoughts of the "what ifs?"

So since you are home enjoy the California sun, relax with some central coast vino, and exchange travel adventures with Hamburger ... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill, You must be safely tucked away at home with a good book by now and enjoying the company of your "surfer dude". I love the way you inject your intelligent venom into your airline experiences. You validate my the theory that good readers make good writers. Even when describing a negative you can make me laugh. I'm glad it all worked out despite the angonizing delays. Been there too a couple of times. Enjoy being home again! Barb Cabot

bkclubcare said...

Yippee! You're home! and so is Hamburger! You are so right about that feeling of being trapped in an airport with nothing to read. Egads! But thankfully? airports are the BEST people-watching places. Even when everyone is asleep.

What's your next trip?

LisaMM said...

NOTHING TO READ?????? My Gawd, this IS a horror story!!

softdrink said...

Care and Lisa, I just knew you guys would understand.

The luggage made it home later in the day...with everything in it. Whew! It's nice to be home, and recovered from the ordeal. Although the back to work part I could do without.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top