- Fizzy Thoughts: Girls in Trucks

Girls in Trucks

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Girls in Trucks

Katie Crouch
2008
256 pages

Sarah Walters is a Southern debutante who escapes tradition-bound Charleston for college and career in the North. However, what she finds in the North is simply a life full of booze, drugs, and bad relationships. After years of bad decisions, Sarah returns home to discover that maybe the best things really are at home.

Each chapter almost reads like a short story. The author changes her style often, and sometimes repeats information. It's a little jarring, although come to think of it, so are the actions of the characters. Sarah's bad decisions get a little old after awhile, but in the end she has a few epiphanies. Eloise's character, though, has some loose ends. We never do find out what happens in her first marriage, although I can posit a few educated guesses. Still, I felt like her character got dropped.

In brief, I'd say this is one of those books that was just okay...I'm not expecting it to stick with me.

2 comment(s):

Figcharlie said...

What do you do with your books when you've finished them? I could do with some books written in English that don't cost the same as half a house.xx

The Daily Rant said...

I just finished this book, and like you, thought there were a few loose ends - I wondered whatever happened to Eloise and the book was just NOT what I expected it to be.

I wanted a sweet book about Southern love and it was just a little too "eh" for me.

I got it off Jen Lancaster's site (www.jennsylvania.com) and after having finished her three books in the past month, I thought her recommending it meant it would be good.

I didn't really enjoy it.

But now I'm combing your list for some new reading material...

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top