- Fizzy Thoughts: Here's the church, here's the steeple...

Here's the church, here's the steeple...

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Here in the south it seems you can't go a block without passing a church. Or a billboard extolling the virtues of reading the bible. The road to Charleston even has this exact road sign (although there are no shoulders to pull off on, so I had to swipe this photo from Google images). For some reason, the fact that there is a sign alerting drivers to an upcoming church cracks me up. Why didn't the 50 previous churches rate a sign?

Anyways, I'm sure y'all have figured out by now that I'm not exactly the most religious of persons. But for some reason I love taking pictures of churches. Go figure.

The spires of the Mickve Israel Synagogue, Savannah

The ruins of The Chapel of Ease, Lady's Island

St Michael's, Charleston

The Circular Congregational Church, Charleston

The ruins of Sheldon Church, burned by Sherman

5 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Jill, it's wonderful to be able to continue our travels through your eyes. Thanks for the wonderful photos! Have fun! Barb Cabot

Jerry said...

Jill - it looks like we should have stayed longer in Savannah - we are missing so much of the south! I guess that we have a good reason to return.

Like you, I often take pics of churches. In fact, I am fascinated by them but I am also NOT a religious person!

Bren said...

Well, this determines that I must make another trip to Savannah and area...I missed so much in the 0 days I was there. I know you can't see it all, but I wanna!
Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos, Jill!
Ciao ciao,
Brenda

Annie said...

Beware! Take it from me - churches can be habit-forming. Love your photos (those ruins are awesome!)

I've lived in the South my whole life and don't remember ever seeing a "church" sign like that! Wonder what the story is?

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Jill~
you helped to 'make my day'~ come pick up your little award!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top