- Fizzy Thoughts: Middleton Place

Middleton Place

Friday, April 11, 2008

I visited Middleton Place today. That's an old plantation along the Ashley River, just outside of Charleston. And yes, that's in South Carolina. I get around.

That's not the original house...that one burned during the Civil War, and then what was left fell down after the earthquake in the late 1800s. The gardens were restored (do you restore gardens?) in the early 1900s. The original gardens were the first planned gardens in the US. Colonies. Whatever.



Middleton Place is bee-you-ti-ful. Everywhere you look there is another stunning view. I took gobs of photos. Including lots of flowers and animals, because the sheep were darn cute.

So you think you want to live there? One itty-bitty detail I forgot to mention. There are alligators. And they like to sun themselves on the grass. I had the camera on the way-way-way zoomed setting for this shot.

4 comment(s):

Trisha said...

Again, great pictures. That alligator doesn't even look real it's so big.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're still there having fun...boohoo we all want to be with you! This place looks wonderful. Great photos! Barb Cabot

Bren said...

Miss Jilly-beans!
You STILL there? I was just thinking tonight after dinner about where you'd be right now, and I never thought you'd have made it all the way to Middleton Place. You DO get around!
See you again, I hope!
Maybe in Savannah, again?
That'd be great!
Miss you,
Ciao ciao,
Brenda

Palma said...

Beautiful photos! I wish we were still in the south, it is so lovely! Have fun!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top