- Fizzy Thoughts: Vocabulary

Vocabulary

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I’ve always wondered what other people do when they come across a word/phrase that they’ve never heard before. I mean, do they jot it down on paper so they can look it up later, or do they stop reading to look it up on the dictionary/google it or do they just continue reading and forget about the word?

I'm a skipper, because, like Trish, I can usually figure the word out in context. If it totally stumps me, like widdershins did awhile back, I'll usually google it, because I'm just too lazy to actually get up and go find the dictionary.

And to answer Trish's addition to this question...Are you a good speller?

Yes, but I used to be much better. I blame it on the fact that as my brain fills up with other stuff, I forget how words are spelled. And because I no longer have weekly vocabulary tests. Of course, there are a few words that are the bane of my existence...definitely and separately.

And now, here's my addition...How's your grammar?

Because, you know mine sucks. I frequently point out how sucky it is...and I'm sure you all notice atrocious grammar faux pas that I'm totally oblivious to. And I'm afraid no amount of reading is ever gonna improve my grammar.

7 comment(s):

LisaMM said...

Widdershins? Hmmmm.

Table Talk said...

My spelling is not good, but grammar is a different matter. Mind you that might have something to do with having PhD in the subject. It would be a bit rich if I didn't know what I was doing!

bkclubcare said...

I sometimes look up words I don't know; sometimes I skip over them, and sometimes I take notes to look up later.

I consider myself a good speller. Grammar? - please don't quiz me! But I try to be correct when possible. It's that 'good girl' in me.

Anonymous said...

From Palma's Brad - That was a terrific last paragraph, and I had to let you know that I "get it." But since blogs are conversational, and conversational grammar doesn't really have any grammar rules, your last paragraph may actually be perfect, grammatically speaking, so to speak.

Stephanie said...

My spelling is awful and my grammer is too - it's amazing that I got through English classes!

softdrink said...

Lisa, everytime I'm reminded of that word, I still think of auf Wiedersehen (and yes, I had to google that to see how to spell it).

Uh oh, don't look now people, but there's a grammar goddess in our midst. I'm feeling the pressure. ;-)

Care, you're a better person than I am...honestly, I just can't be bothered with the dictionary.

Brad, I'm going to have to post that comment of yours. It's just too perfect! Thanks!! And thanks for stopping by, too.

Stephanie...woo-hoo! You can hang with me and my lousy grammar anytime.

bethany said...

maybe we should burn dictionaries...make our own meaning for words and move on?
hahha...
I have never been addicted to my dictionary, yuk.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top