- Fizzy Thoughts: Apples really are from Kazakhstan

Apples really are from Kazakhstan

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Yes, I'm still reading about apples and Kazakhstan. It sounds like a cool place. Literally. If you're thinking about visiting, I'd avoid winter.

So not only is Kazakhstan (and boy is that an awkward word to type) the mother ship for apples, it's also the birthplace of tulips. And Trotsky (you know, Lenin's Comrade, then not-Comrade...he also had really big hair...although that has nothing to do with his historical significance...I just happened to get sidetracked looking at pictures on Wikipedia and it's hard not to notice the hair...go ahead, go look) spent a year in exile in Almaty, and he seemed to find it delightful. And speaking of Almaty (a city in south-eastern Kazakhstan), it's the Kazakh word for appleness. How cute is that?

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the book. It's kind of cute, too. It's small (bigger than a paperback, smaller than a trade paperback) and has little pencil illustrations scattered throughout. And while not every page is riveting, it's an entertaining read, full of odd little bits of trivia and Kazakh characters. I may just be giving this one away, so stay tuned.

3 comment(s):

Nyura said...

Hello Softdrink --

I too liked this book a lot. I'm a little different -- I've been to KZ and have a deep affection for the country (which does have a lot of flaws, not all of which Christopher Robbins admits). I appreciate that the author really likes KZ, and I enjoyed all the portraits of regular people - the woman in Karaganda documenting the gulags and the man who spent his childhood there - wow.

Maybe you'll get to visit someday. I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

LisaMM said...

Sounds interesting.. I like the cover!

softdrink said...

Nyura, thanks for stopping by! Do you have any other recommendations for books on KZ?

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top