- Fizzy Thoughts: A birthday cake for Kate

A birthday cake for Kate

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kate, here is your birthday cake. I know it doesn't look like much, but I promise it tastes good. If you like chocolate-orange stuff, which you said you do. And no comments on the photo.

Mexican Chocolate Loaf Cake

1 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee*
3/4 cup water*
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
zest of one orange

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter or grease a 9×5x3.5-inch loaf pan and dust with cocoa powder, knocking out the excess. Line 4 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth, then add in instant coffee and water, whisking until dissolved. Stir in sugar, followed by the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and orange zest, mixing well after each addition.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to cocoa mixture, stirring until just combined.

Using a 1/4 cup measure, fill the four cupcake liners about 3/4 full with batter. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake the cupcakes for 18-22 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Bake the cake for 55-65 minutes (or longer, if you're my oven), until a tester comes out clean or with only a few crumbs. Cool in the pans for about 15 minutes, then turn out cupcakes and loaf cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf cake and 4 cupcakes. Serves 10-12, plus cupcakes for the cook.

*Note: You can omit the instant coffee and use 1/2 cup water with 1/4 cup coffee instead, as the original recipe calls for, if you don’t have instant.

I found this recipe at a blog called Baking Bites, which is full of incredible looking desserts (and other things, but I'm in love with the desserts). I made this cake a few weeks ago and took it to work, and it was gone before noon, which I interpret to mean it tasted good. Either that or everyone was exceptionally hungry that morning.

I also made banana bread. Not for Kate, but for Hamburger.

I have no idea what the banana bread tastes like. I had a few really ripe bananas staring at me, and I figured since I already had made a mess of the kitchen, and Hamburger loves banana muffins/bread/pudding, I might as well go all out and bake two things in one day.

3 comment(s):

girasoli said...

I thought that was the cover for another book at first. It looks yummy to me.

bkclubcare said...

Did you happen to watch the sandwich competition on food network the other day? There was an 'Elvis' sandwich of french-toasted banana bread with grilled bananas and peanut butter and honey, I think. Oh yum! anyway, this post reminded me...

ourpartyof4 said...

It is SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!
Thank you thank you thank you!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top