- Fizzy Thoughts: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Friday, May 16, 2008


The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
E. Lockhart
March 2008
352 pages

I'm not sure where I ran across this book. Over at Lesley's blog maybe? Wait, I'll go check...nope, not there. Stephanie? Nope again, but I see it's on her radar. Well, damn, I give up. It was probably on one of the Booking Through Thursday blogs. If it was you, please fess up. Because I adore this book...the title, the cover, and the story.
Frankie starts her sophomore year at prep school by attracting a cute, smart, personable guy. Oh, and he's a senior, too. Woo-hoo, life is looking good. Except Frankie begins to notice that Matthew (the cute, smart, etc. guy) and his buddies don't really treat her like an equal. They notice her boobs, but not her brains. So she sets out to to prove that she's just as good as they are.
Of course, the guys are never going to accept her or admit that she's smart, but boy, does Frankie impress the heck out of the school with her efforts. Not that they know it's her behind all of the genius pranks suddenly being played around the school. They think it's Matthew and his Old Boys club (aka the Hounds). No one realizes that Frankie has uncovered the secrets of the Hounds and that she's smarter than the rest of them. When they do discover what she's been up to, suddenly she's shunned. Because what she's done just isn't done.
However, Frankie does succeed in defining herself, and realizing that she doesn't need Matthew and his type in her life. Which is why I love this book. Yes, Frankie is a criminal mastermind, but she is also a strong teenage character. Go Frankie!

3 comment(s):

anne said...

Thanks Jill, we're always on the lookout for offbeat new books. I LOVE that title! And the contents sound interesting too :)

softdrink said...

I'd definitely recommend this one for the Ginger (even though I don't know what she likes). I think Frankie is a great character for teenage girls to read about.

Stephanie said...

Yeah, I'm been taking a look at this one - I may just have to pick it up sooner than later!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top