- Fizzy Thoughts: The Geographer's Library

The Geographer's Library

Friday, May 16, 2008

The Geographer's Library
Jon Fasman
2005
384 pages

I read this book in Savannah. Which is ironic, because I didn't take it with me. It was on the bookshelf in the cottage that I was staying in. But I'm almost positive I have this book on my bookshelf, too. I think I bought it a few years ago, yet never read it. Which now means I have an unread book that I've read.

Normally, I like books like this. Mystical artifacts, faraway places, tales of past times and present times all in one book. But I found The Geographer's Library hard to follow. The description of the mystical items was very hard to follow, and I was never 100% sure what they all combined to do. And I found the trips into the past a little flat. I did like the modern characters, though.

I also like this description from barnesandnoble.com:

Jon Fasman's dizzyingly plotted intellectual thriller suggests a marriage between Dan Brown and Donna Tartt. When reporter Paul Tomm is assigned to investigate the mysterious death of a reclusive academic, he finds himself pursuing leads that date back to the twelfth century and the theft of alchemical instruments from the geographer of the Sicilian court. Now someone is trying to retrieve them. Interspersed with the present action are the stories of the men and women who came to possess those charmed-and sometimes cursed-artifacts, which have powers that go well beyond the transmutation of lead into gold. Deftly combining history, magic, suspense, and romance-and as handsomely illustrated as an ancient incunabulum-The Geographer's Library is irresistible.
Not that agree with the irresistible tag, but I like the use of the words "dizzingly plotted." Maybe that's why I was confused.

0 comment(s):

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top