- Fizzy Thoughts: Manual Labor Redux

Manual Labor Redux

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Following up last week’s question about reading writing/grammar guides, this week, we’re expanding the question….
Scenario: You’ve just bought some complicated gadget home . . . do you read the
accompanying documentation? Or not?
Do you ever read manuals?
How-to books?
Self-help guides?
Anything at all?
Well, it depends. For technical thingies, like computers and printers, I hope for a bare bones how-to. You know, those Step 1, 2, 3 things...and they stop at 3, because if there are 4 steps they'll probably lose me. Because I hate, hate, hate to read manuals. Bor-ing. But if there is assembly required, I tend to read everything. And I still have parts left over...how does that happen, anyway? Hamburger and my mom and I put together a treadmill a few months ago, and boy were we glad we followed the directions, because holy cow that was complicated. But for things like answering machines and cell phones, I try to avoid manuals. Which probably explains why the only thing I can do with my cell phone is answer it. Okay, I can enter someone's number and make a call and check my voice mail, but that's it. Texting? Hah!
Moving on... I don't read self-help or how-to books, which probably comes as no surprise. I had to go to Covey training once (it was a work requirement) and it was hell. If I had to read a self-help book I'd probably curl up in a ball and start rocking. I'm just not into that. So no chicken soup for my soul.

1 comment(s):

bethany said...

haha! It is so funny to hear what other people are like when it comes to electronics and manuals and stuff! I love your BTT, you are the opposite of me, but I can see your logic and my husband is exactly like you are. I love to know about the workings of things.

Happy Thursday!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top