- Fizzy Thoughts: Mayday!

Mayday!

Thursday, May 01, 2008


Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??

And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….

Oh, I can so relate to this question. Although it wasn't an emergency, I was stuck at the airport not that long ago with nothing to read.

First, I ate breakfast at MacDonald's. Because it was 5am and there was nothing else open. Not even the newsstand. So I ate my egg mcmuffin and people watched. Although at 5am that's not too exciting.

Then I played spider solitaire on my laptop (although that probably wouldn't count in this case).

Then I called Hamburger on my cell phone and woke him up and made him feel sorry for me because I had nothing to read.

Then Starbucks opened, thank god, because the MacDonald's coffee sucked and it was 6am and I still had half an hour until take-off. And I was able to buy a USA Today. Woo-hoo! This meant I had a crossword puzzle, which I finished on the plane. Then I did the sudoku puzzle. Then I did the word search. And then the other weird little puzzle they have.

So that's probably what I'd do...buy a newspaper, or a puzzle book, along with a few magazines and a book or two at the newsstand. And yes, I'd buy more than one magazine and more than one book, because a girl needs options (this is why I always pack more than one pair of shoes) and I never ever want to be stuck at the airport again with nothing to read.

3 comment(s):

LisaMM said...

What's up, fizzy?? I really like egg mcmuffins. Haven't had one in months, though. It sounds really good right now.

Annie said...

I love this post and I can relate. I'm one of those people who read the cereal box or the fine print on the toilet paper wrapper if there's nothing better available. As for airports, I don't mind wandering around and scavenging for reading material left behind on those horrible little plastic chairs.

Chiocciola said...

I know, being stuck without reading material is awful! I usually pack extra, or treat myself to something in the airport bookstore.

Annie, I do the same!! I have been reading on the cereal box since I could read! I read my shampoo bottle in the shower!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top