- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon

Sunday, May 18, 2008

I've been meaning to join the Sunday Salon for awhile now. I'm not going to explain what it is...you can click on the badge it you want to read all about it.

So my current book is Broken Paradise, by Cecilia Samartin. Briefly, it's about cousins who grow up together in Cuba. After Castro comes to power, one immigrates to the United States, while the other stays behind.
The book hooked me with the first paragraph:

What I love most is the warmth, how it reaches in and spreads out to the tips of my fingers and toes until it fells like I'm part of the sun, like it's growing inside me. Have you ever seen the ocean turn smooth as a sheet of glass or curl upon the shore with a sigh? If you knew my country then you'd know that the sea can be many things; faithful and blue as the sky one moment and the next a shimmering turquoise so brilliant, you'd swear the sun was shining from beneath the waves.
Can't you just feel the heat of Cuba?

I'm only on page 37. That's all I had time for this morning before chores dragged me reluctantly from my book. But I have high hopes for this one...I plan to be reading this one throughout the week.

I did buy a couple of books on Saturday...but the stacks by my chair are growing, so I don't know when I thought I would be reading them. Although Apples are from Kazakhstan

might displace all others and jump to the top of the Read Me, Read Me pile. It's a travelogue of Kazakhstan. Who the hell travels to Kazakhstan?

In case you were wondering, Kazakhstan is here:

8 comment(s):

anne said...

I can't say that Kazakhstan is on my list of potential travel destinations. But maybe if I actually took the time to learn something about it, it might get added!

bkclubcare said...

WOW! You've been busy! I won't comment on every post but I AM reading all of them... and I do like your review style. I am definitely putting some of these books on my evergrowing never diminishing tbr list. and I hope to go see Prince Caspian this week but I bet I'll have to armwrestle the hub over Ironman.

shereadsbooks said...

Welcome to the salon :)

Stephanie said...

Believe it or not, when I was at the local pharamacy recently getting my youngest daughter's passport photo taken, there was an entire family there who were preparing for their passports as they were about to move to, you guessed it, Kazakhstan! Sounds like an interesting book (and the cover art is fab)!

SmallWorld Reads said...

The Kazakhstan book actually sounds fabulous! My father is an apple breeder and has often told us about apples and Kazakhstan. Weird, eh?

softdrink said...

I am all set to stqart the Kazakhstan book...I'll keep you all updated, since it seems to have grabbed everyone's attention. I never would have guessed at the Kazakhstan connections!

LisaMM said...

Can't say as I ever thought about Kazakhstan as a great place for a family trip, but the book looks really interesting! Welcome to the Salon!

Literary Feline said...

I finished reading another of Cecilia Samartin's books just this past week. I'll be posting my review of it tomorrow.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top