- Fizzy Thoughts: Sunday Salon

Sunday Salon

Sunday, May 25, 2008

I spent eight hours in a car today. No wait...my brother was driving, so it was more like 7 hours. My mom, my big bro and I went down to Orange County (hi Lisa!) today, to visit family and celebrate my aunt's 70th birthday.

So 7 hours in a car. You'd think I could've gotten some prime reading time in. But no. My family doesn't really appreciate my desire to spend entire trips with my nose in a book. So I furtively try to read while keeping one ear tuned in to the conversation. However, the Oxnard/Camarillo stretch of the 101, along with the 405, is mighty bumpy these days, so even furtively, there wasn't a whole lotta reading going on. I read maybe 50 pages of my current book, Apples are from Kazakhstan. I'm still liking it, and today I learned something interesting about the Aral Sea. But I didn't read much this week, so I'm only about 1/2 way through.

The only other thing happening book-wise in my world this week was that I decided I would not be reading A New Earth. And judging from the comments on the post (by the way, you guys totally crack me up), the anti-Oprah movement is gaining speed.

I did buy a book...I Capture the Castle. It was my reward for not buying A New Earth. And I was so proud this morning, because I left the house with a book to pass on to my brother (some boring book about being a landlord that I didn't even realize we owned), 3 books for my mom (this one, this one, and this one), and 1 for my aunt (The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, because my aunt's name is Frankie). Getting rid of books is a good thing these days, because all the bookshelves in the house are full. However, my mom gave me two books. Tipping the Velvet and one I can't remember because it's still in my car and I'm too lazy to go get it. So really, there is no significant dent in the piles. Oh well, at least I tried.

My reading goal for this week is to finish Apples are from Kazakhstan. And to pass it on.

4 comment(s):

SmallWorld Reads said...

I loved I Capture the Castle! Have fun with it!

LisaMM said...

Hi Jill (waving furiously from my perch on the couch!) Happy Birthday to Auntie!

Megan said...

Feel free to get rid of books in my direction any time!

marta2trav said...

I also loved Capture the Castle. I'm also interested in hear how you like the Sarah Waters book. I read Affinity. Her writing caught my eye recently. I can't remember why.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top