- Fizzy Thoughts: Definition

Definition

Thursday, June 26, 2008

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

I call myself a reader because...

  • I love to read
  • I love to lose myself in the story
  • reading is my relaxation
  • I love to be entertained/distracted/amused/provoked by a book
  • I can spend hours at a time reading
  • I prefer to spend my free time reading
  • I read almost every day...there are days when I don't open a book, but those aren't good days. In fact, I get a little crabby if I'm reading deprived.
  • I find it very, very, very difficult to pass by a bookstore (okay, be within 5 miles of one) without going in, and then finding a book I can't live without. Not that that makes me a reader, but I understand it's a problem for many of us.

However, that doesn't mean that I...

  • hoard my books or line my walls with bookshelves
  • spend all my time talking about books (mostly because I'm lucky if I remember what I read last week)
  • read lit-ra-chur
  • look down on anyone for their reading choices

I know this wasn't supposed to be all about me, but it was the only way I could get the words flowing today. I really like this image. Except did you notice that all of the books are from the library? If that was me, those would all be books I just had to buy. And I'd probably be catching poison oak. Or I'd be the next one checking the books out from the library and I'd catch poison oak from the books. Me and the wilderness have issues. Yet another reason why I'm a reader.

8 comment(s):

bethany said...

oh, that is a great answer. very good. I do line my walls with books though...even though I try to not :)


guess what!? I got a surprise in the mail today!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can't wait to read them :) YAY!

planetbooks said...

I love your take on the question this week. Great site too!

Smilingsal said...

What a great picture? I would never have thought of that!
I agree with you--even about reading "lit-ra-chur."

justareadingfool said...

Like smilingsal, I'm so with you on the "lit-ra-chur" comment. Reading is not supposed to be all stuffy and, well, stuff. ;)

MackAttack said...

Hey Jillo, I've been meaning to tell you I like your new blog layout!! :)

thekoolaidmom said...

"Mental Health day" is a great excuse to call in to stay home and read :-D

Me and the wilderness have issues
That makes me think of the TV show Monk when Mr. Monk had to hide out in a cabin in the woods and touch some dirt. The captain told him to just wipe it off with a leaf, to which Monk replied, "You can't get nature off with nature!" I like Monk.

Oh, I know the pain of going in the neighborhood of the bookstore. The last time I went I begged Jan,the manager, to help me not to buy anything because MT. TBR is over 150 books now. She said she wouldn't do that! I'm going in on the first to by myself a birthday present, Dreams of My Father and Interpreter of Maladies. I promised them I'd come back and rescue them from the lonely shelf. :-D

softdrink said...

Bethany - you are very welcome. I don't hoard my books anymore, because I still have plenty and those suckers are heavy when moving day arrives!

Planetbooks - thank you and thank you.

Hi Sal - Let's hear it for the anti-lit-ra-chur. Or whatever.

Fool - stuffy stuff. I like it. :-)

Hi Mack!!!

koolaidmom - love your name, btw. Books definitely need good homes. I think I might have to go on a book rescue operation this weekend. :-)

trish said...

I like your answer better than mine. Maybe I should just link over to you? ;-)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top