- Fizzy Thoughts: Flavor

Flavor

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Think about your favorite authors, your favorite books . . . what is it about them that makes you love them above all the other authors you’ve read? The stories? The characters? The way they appear to relish the taste of words on the tongue? The way they’re unafraid to show the nitty-gritty of life? How they sweep you off to a new, distant place? What is it about those books and authors that makes them resonate with you in ways that other, perfectly good books and authors do not?

I will always appreciate Christopher Moore for his bizarre sense of humor. And J.K. Rowling for her ability to create an alternate world that appealed to readers of all ages. And Lisa See for her knack with historical fiction.

However, I wouldn't necessarily name them as favorite authors. I generally don't have favorite authors, or even favorite books past what I've read in the course of a year. Mainly because my memory is crap and I just don't remember details. What I do like in a book is an ability to transport me into another world. This can be our world, or a vampire world, it can be the past or the present. Whatever or wherever it is, I want to be able to visualize what I'm reading...I want a book that draws me in and lets me imagine myself there. And this can happen for me in various ways...it can be the author's sense of humor, it can be their way with dialogue, it can be the characters or the story, it can even be my mood. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I really don't know. I've never identified a particular style or technique that draws me in...for me, a book's either got it or not.

And wasn't that a lame answer? On a more positive note, I'm giving away two books...go here and here for a chance to win. But you gotta do it soon...I'm drawing names Friday (that's tomorrow) morning.

9 comment(s):

Smilingsal said...

I don't think it was a lame comment; in fact, I agree with it, and I'm not at all lame!
It's fun to travel via reading.

Jennifer said...

I had trouble identifying exactly why I like what I like too. Definitely the transportation to another world thing though! =)

gautami tripathy said...

I too don't have favourite authors. I o exploring for newer ones!

Here is my BTT post

And thanks. I will check out your giveaway!

jlshall said...

"...for me, a book's either got it or not" - I've read almost all the BTT answers this week, and this is absolutely the best one I've found. My sentiments, exactly!

Melanie said...

for some well realized "other world" type books try the Otori series by Lian Hearn. A sort of alternate historical setting of medieval japan.

anne said...

I am SO glad to hear that you don't remember details either. I hate conversations when the other person wants to discuss near verbatim bits of the text and all I can say is duh, I don't remember...

And definitely agree with "a book's either got it or not". Rare is the author whose entire body of work would resonate with me. I tend to be drawn books in the "literary fiction" section...unless it has an "Somebody's Pick" sticker on it, in which case I refuse to pick it up. Many of my best finds were picked from a jumble on the bargain shelf...or had a cover I just liked.

I prefer the term 'whimsical' to 'lame' :o)

softdrink said...

Whimsical. I like it. Thanks Anne!

Vicki said...

I love your blog, it's fun!!

Just came over from BBT to have a look at your answer :-)

softdrink said...

Thanks Vicki!

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top