- Fizzy Thoughts: Queen of the Road

Queen of the Road

Monday, June 23, 2008


Queen of the Road
Doreen Orion
June 2008
304 pages

This is going down as one of my favorite books of the year. Why? Because it’s got travel, it’s got humor, and it’s got parentheses. Really, go check out that link…and make sure you read the comments, because Doreen stopped by. I feel so special.

I adore the style of this book (and I’m not just saying that because the author left a comment…really). It’s so casual, it’s like listening to Doreen tell stories of her year on the road. (And after reading the book I'm feeling okay with saying Doreen, as opposed to Ms. Orion...I really don't she'd mind.)

I’ve always loved the idea of road trips. Except I could never, ever, ever, picture us (as in Hamburger and Softdrink) on a bus traveling across the US. Because, you know, there’s no surf in Wyoming. Or Kansas. Or Tennessee. Let alone most of the other states. So I’d probably only get to see the states that bordered an ocean, and I’ve already been to most of those already. Plus, I don’t think I could bear to listen to Hamburger bitch about the price of gas. He already does that enough now.

So I’m glad I read this book, because then I got to live vicariously through Doreen, who took the mother of all road trips. Doreen, her husband Tim, Miles (their standard poodle), and Morty and Shula (the cats) piled into a giant Prevost bus and spent a year driving across the US. They even went up to Alaska. I’ve heard about the roads in Alaska, and that’s impressive. Along the way they encountered some strange and beautiful sites, but more importantly, they expanded their horizons. Tim managed to separate himself a bit from his Protestant work ethic, and Doreen became less of a reclusive shoe-addict.

If you do read this book, don’t forget to read the stuff at the end. Like the list of books they read during their year on the road (some good choices in there, by the way) and the list of some of the places they stopped at. Which included two restaurants in Morro Bay. Yo, Doreen? How come you didn’t mention my town anywhere else? We’ve got a big rock. And San Luis Obispo has Bubblegum Alley. Yeah, yeah, I know…you can’t include everything. But still.

9 comment(s):

bethany said...

oh, i LOVE parenthesis too! I want to go on road trip SO bad...but I think it will be easier to wait for a bit and so our little ones are a tiny bit older.

This does sound like a good book, thanks for the review!!!

Doreen Orion said...

Oh, you and your parenthesis!

What is your town? We probably passed through. Tell me, already. I'm sure there's a martini recipe in the book commemorating my bus phobia's spike in that area. And, if there isn't... I'll make one up. I mean possibly your favorite book of the year? It's the least I can do. (Really, it is.)

Seriously, thanks so much! As for the prior commenter saying the little ones need to be older... I actually saw other buses with kids' bunks IN THE BAYS. I assumed they would be reported for child abuse, but the kids loved it. Who knew?

Best,
Doreen

chartroose said...

Oh man, another one for the TBR list(s)! (Damn it all to Hell)!

softdrink said...

Bethany - ( ) and ... are my best friends.

Doreen - Morro Bay, California! Little town, big rock, cold ocean, lots of fog. Sometimes called the home of the newlywed and the nearly dead.

Chartroose - hah! Another successful entry, then. And only fair, considering you do the same to me!

LisaMM said...

I'm really looking forward to this one!

Amanda said...

I just won this book and am so so excited to read it. What a great review!! Thanks!

The Daily Rant said...

I just finished this book too. I was wandering through Barnes and Noble and saw it on the shelf - it's the title that caught my eye, since I thought to myself, "Hey! I'm Queen of the Road!" Who is this woman taking my title? LOL

I have been traveling for four years and driving for two of those, in an 18-wheeler, with my boyfriend Ed. We have been to 49 states in the truck (and yes, even having driven to Alaska!) and almost all of the Canadian Provinces and Territories. I thought reading her book would be similar to being in the truck with my man 24/7, which is why I picked it up.

I found her experience to be quite a bit different, but it was an interesting read. I think we do a lot more while on the road than she and her husband did, having been able to hit all the states and more places than they did, but we just didn't do it in a luxury bus! lol

I found your blog through Bleeding Espresso - in fact, I'll be doing a guest post there on August 15th - so don't forget to pop over and see me there!

Now I must get back to checking out your book list...

Heather J. said...

Thanks, I've added your link to my review. :)

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top