- Fizzy Thoughts: The Society of S

The Society of S

Friday, June 06, 2008


The Society of S
Susan Hubbard
May 2007
304 pages

As previously mentioned, I picked this book up last weekend because I left my book at home and I needed something to read (fellow readers can relate, right?). Since I’m currently jonesing for the next Twilight book, I thought The Society of S might help.

Briefly put, this is a vampire coming-of-age novel. Ariella Montero lives with her father; her mother mysteriously disappeared after she was born. Ari lives a sheltered life. Her father home schools her, the housekeeper, Mrs. G., cooks (somewhat badly) all of her meals and buys all of her clothes. She has no friends and spends her days with Mrs. G. and her father. However, once she hits her teenage years, Ari begins to question her life. She starts to hang out with Mrs. G.’s family, especially Kathleen. She ventures out and expands her horizons. And she begins to question her reclusive father about what they really are.

When Ari finally discovers the truth (yes, she’s a vampire, and no I didn’t just blow the whole story by divulging that) she takes off to find her mother. She spends months on the road, eventually landing in Florida at her mother’s house. Ari is only 13, and the whole road trip experience combined with a charmed reunion with mom seems a bit far-fetched. But then this is a vampire tale, so I guess I shouldn’t quibble about things that don’t ring true.

Anyways…I enjoyed this book (more than my recent foray into fairy land, but still not as much as Twilight). I read it in a day, so it’s not that complicated. Ari, despite being remarkably mature, is a great character, and it was fun to spend time with her. And surprise-surprise, there’s a sequel, The Year of Disappearances. Because, you know, vampire stories are the hot thing right now. And okay, I’ll confess - I ordered The Year of Disappearances this morning.

4 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I have noticed many vampire related books nowdays. It almost takes away the fun of reading a vampire book when it is so ubiquitous...did i spell that word correctly?

anyway, Bram Stoker had no clue what he started!

Sandrac said...

I'm intrigued by your mention of the Twilight books, I read a review on the weekend that raved about them. I'm not usually a fan of vampire literature, but perhaps I should rethink that?

softdrink said...

Sandra, I highly recommend the Twilight books! Most people I know who have read them are fans. The last book is due out in August, so it's the perfect time to dive in.

bethany said...

i just posted my review!! Oh, this was a great book...THANK YOU!! I was not scared anymore for the second evening reading, it just in the first initial introduction :)

I can't wait to read the next one, but I am try to hold off a little (I have SO MANY ARC'S!!!)

Thanks so much for sending this book to me.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top