- Fizzy Thoughts: The Sunday Salon: On the Road Again

The Sunday Salon: On the Road Again

Sunday, June 15, 2008

I've been craving travel books again, so I'm currently reading Queen of the Road, a hilarious tale of a couple who take a year off and travel across the US in their ginormous bus. With their two cats and a standard Poodle.


Part of the reason I love this book so much is the author uses more parentheses than I do. An example:

Of course, we also took the Jeep on several day trips throughout the region
for ice cream and wine tastings, passing waterfall after waterfall along the
way. (They don't say "Ithaca is gorges" for nuthin'.) When we
entered the neutral Zone in the town of Romulus (between Cayuga and Seneca
lakes), I couldn't help asking some of the natives if they called themselves
Romulans (as Tim pretended he didn't know me). It was as if I were the
alien. Next time, I'll wear my Spock ears, then maybe they'll understand
what I'm talking about.

Now I don't feel so bad about my overuse of parentheses (today is a tame day).

Anyhoosie...I'm really enjoying this book, because the author is so casual, and because she has a great sense of humor. I'm hoping to finish it this evening while the game is on. Go Celtics!

And if you haven't ventured a guess yet about how many earrings I wear, check out this post for a chance to win a book.

9 comment(s):

gautami tripathy said...

I love travel books. I am currently reading The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen. It is a serious book but extremly interesting.

SS 1: Books read/received
SS 2: Book Shopping

LisaMM said...

Hi Fizzy, I'm so glad to hear Queen of the Road is funny! The author just sent me an email saying she was asking the publisher to send it to me.. can't wait!

John's comments said...

I had a startrek moment this week this we. I reading The collector of worlds which is a novel about Sir Richard Burton set initially in the 1840's when suddenly the servant character talks about the Feringhi and the problems they cause. Got me confused but turns out that its an old Asian abuse term originally referring to the Portuguese's territories in India.

This week's post

girasoli said...

:) Celtics!! What a game the other day huh? I am heading over to my dad's to watch it today...hoping for the win to clinch the title.

justareadingfool said...

I also overuse parentheses (I don't know it's just something in my blood, I guess) so don't feel bad (not that you would since you don't even know me). Anyway...(another thing I do too much of: leave ellipsises at the end of words or half-finished sentences? Why? Hmmmm....)

Doreen Orion said...

Jill (or fizzy, or soft - I'm into nicknames, sorry),

Lisa (who I "met" through authorbuzz) just alerted me to your blog (which is fabulous, by the way). I'm so glad you're enjoying my book, QUEEN OF THE ROAD. (Not sure why you think I overuse parens, though.)

Hope you continue to enjoy it (but if not, you don't really have to post THAT, do you?)

LisaMM said...

Wow, Jill, the new look is great!

M said...

oh. that sounds like a book i would love to read.

softdrink said...

Gautami, I had to go look the Snow Leopard up on amazon. That does look serious. Especially since I'm currently in a goofy mood. ;-)

Lisa, I loved it! You're so lucky! And thanks for sending Doreen over!

John, I was never much into Star Trek...I was lucky I got the Romulan reference!

Girasoli...they lost! Boooo! They better wrap it up before you leave for Italy, huh?

Fool (can I call you Fool?)...I'm a big fan of the dots, too! And evidently the !! too. I need to start rationing myself.

Doreen! Thanks for stopping by! I feel so honored. :-D And I loved the rest of the book, too. Detailed post to follow...

Lisa...hey wait, didn't I just comment back to you?

M...two thumbs up, absolutely.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top