- Fizzy Thoughts: The Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon

Sunday, June 08, 2008

In the last 24 hours I have read three books. I haven't done that in ages, and it's a wonderful feeling to know that I spent my day reading.

So what have I been reading? Well, last night I stayed up late and finished Mrs. Lieutenant, a book that the author herself sent me. Which means I'll actually be writing a thoughtful review later this week. As opposed to my normal half-assed efforts. Then, this morning and early afternoon I spent time with The Way Life Should Be, a book that takes its title from Maine's state motto. The book starts in New York, moves to New Jersey, then migrates to a remote Maine island. Then I moved on to Woman in Red, which is set on a remote Washington island. It was a total fluke that I picked books set on islands, but I happen to like islands, and both books made me long for small-town life. Not that Morro Bay is a thriving metropolis.

Back when I bought the books, I liked the covers of The Way Life Should Be and Woman in Red. However, after reading them, I have to say, for me neither book fits its cover.

In The Way Life Should Be, the main character Angela arrives in Maine right before winter hits, and nowhere in the book does it mention her frolicking on the beach in a skirt. Trudging down to the beach in her pajamas and a down coat with her dog, yes. Skirt, no.

Then there's Woman in Red, which is the title of a painting that is an important part of the story. The painting is of a barefoot woman in a red dress. Not some elusive figure in a red cape. Not even a red sheet. I can see how the color red figures in to the story, but I don't think this cover image works:


So yes, I'm a little picky about my covers. Not that I require the covers to feature a scene from the book, but if there is figure on the cover, I do expect it to illustrate something from the book. The Way Life Should Be gets points for the beach and sort of conveying the tone of the book, but I don't think I'll ever reconcile the cover of Woman in Red with the story told within.

3 comment(s):

chartroose said...

I spent 3 hours reading yesterday afternoon and only got through about 50 pages. It's pathetic! The novel was sad, so I'd set the book aside to consider the futility of life and then watch whatever part of LOTR was on and then put the dogs out or bring them in. I finally had to give up. I'm envious! I'll bet you're a faster reader than I am, too. Are you doing the reading marathon this weekend? I'm going to be out of town. Rats!

bkclubcare said...

Are you going to do that ReadAThon? (I am NOT.)

Those covers... You would think or wish? that the artists/mkters would READ the books, wouldn't you?

softdrink said...

No read-a-thon for me. I have a baby shower to attend on Saturday, so Saturday afternoon is shot. Plus, while I stay up late on the weekends, I know better than to tempt myself into staying up most of the night...it would make it just that much harder to get up and go to work when the weekend's over.

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top