- Fizzy Thoughts: The Year of Disappearances

The Year of Disappearances

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Year of Disappearances
Susan Hubbard
May 2008
287 pages

The Year of Disappearances picks up where The Society of S left off. Ariella Montero, teenage vampire, is back in Homosassa, Florida with her mom. And just like the title implies, things start disappearing. Actually, not things. Bees. And people. Ari is only 14, but she’s an extremely mature 14. She applies to college, falls in love, deals with FBI without breaking a sweat (not that vampires sweat), and ponders the ethics and future of both vampires and humans.

I kept thinking these were young adult novels, but they’re not. In fact, one blurb I read classified it as horror. I’d say that’s a stretch. I think the vampires simply provide an avenue for Hubbard to discuss the future of the planet. Conservation, ecology and environmental issues are interwoven into the story, and the political message at the end is hard to miss. It makes for an interesting mix. Almost preachy, but not quite.

I have a few quibbles with the book. It still bothers me that Ari is only 14. I understand why she is so mature for her age, but she could have been a little older. At times it was flat out creepy to remember she’s only 14. Also, the rampant drug use was over the top. For half of the student body of a supposedly progressive college to suddenly succumb to drugs without the administration doing anything about it was a bit much. Granted, they could’ve been whacked out, too. But still.

Despite that, I’m still enjoying the series. Although I don’t know anyone else who has read the books. So I’m looking forward to reading bethany’s take.

2 comment(s):

bethany said...

Can't wait!!! These do sound like really interesting reads! I have never read about vampires before so this will be new terrain for me. YAY!

softdrink said...

No vampires?!?!? Not even Anne Rice?

In a real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read. It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish. ~S.I. Hayakawa

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
~St. Augustine

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
~Mark Twain

  © Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to top